The international celebration of Earth Day – a day to honor the earth and support environmental protections to preserve its beauty and life support capabilities is this Monday, April 22. If you want to engage in some fun family activities for Earth Day this weekend or Monday or incorporate Earth Day into school or homeschool lesson plans on Monday, the ten free printables in this list should help you construct lesson plans and projects.
1. Earth Day Printable Child Coloring Picture (About.com) – one of the best ways to ensure future health of the Earth is to instill in children the necessity of being responsible stewards of the environment by empowering them and helping them realize that even the smallest contributions from the youngest citizens can make the world a better place.
2. Our first free Earth Day word search puzzle printable from FreeKidsCrafts.com features a search with a handful of words that will not prove too daunting to any child with experience with these types of puzzles. This page also features the traditional pair of hands supporting the globe used to symbolize many environmental endeavors.
3. This second Earth Day word search printable is from Kaboose and contains a nice lengthy list of words for the more advanced puzzle solver and does not feature any coloring elements – perfect for those with students who are old enough to feel coloring is passe but not old enough to realize that coloring is never passe.
4. Want to inspire your kids? Then let them come up with five ways to help out this Earth Day. To make this a really great activity, explain the basic idea of Earth Day and let them come up with their own ideas before you offer up more standard solutions. This Frugal Novice printable lets children becomes Earth Day superheroes when they get through coming up with five ideas.
5. The third word search we want to share is another easy puzzle without the coloring element (though there is a cute Panda graphic in the upper right hand corner).
6. This drop down word puzzle printable is great for older children or students celebrating Earth day in the classroom as the puzzle requires process of elimination as words are formed in each column. The answers are printed at the bottom if a student gets truly stuck, but most should be able to pluck it out and solve this puzzle.
7. Three light to moderately challenging Earth Day mazes appear on this page of printables from Classroom Jr. These will add a fun activity to the day that doesn’t require excessive added brain power.
8. If you want to add some gaming to Earth Day for your class, these printable BINGO cards can be used along with beans (versus plastic BINGO markers) . As you call out each BINGO square, you can discuss the topic called.
9. Make and Takes has a nice Earth Day printable that features not only the Earth but also a tree, the sun, and the reduce, reuse, recycle symbol. These squares could be used to create an interesting mobile or each student’s colored squares could be strung garland style around the room.
10. Our last suggestion helps tie all of these projects together. This printable coloring page stars a happy Earth celebrating that April 22 is all about it!