like love rice cakes but feel like they cost a little bit too much at the store to be a regular treat, so a few weeks ago when I noticed bags of Arrowhead Mills puffed rice cereal at the grocery store, I was pretty excited. For about $2.00, I can get a full bag (6 oz) of plain puffed whole grain brown rice and experiment with it to my heart’s content to create a healthy movie night snack that isn’t popcorn (which is difficult for me to eat) or chips.
Here is my first experiment, which turned out quite tasty.
Puffed Rice Browned with Olive Oil and Seasoning
2 cups Arrowhead Mills puffed rice cereal
1 teaspoon Dean Jacob’s Parmesan Blend Bread Dipping Seasoning (note: you can substitute here, see the directions below)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1. Place two Tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of seasoning to the oil. I use Dean Jacob’s Parmesan Blend (which, in terms of flavor, consists of garlic, Parmesan cheese, and parsley). You can throw in your favorite seasoning or the raw components of this one.
3. Let the oil and spices fuse for a few minutes. I usually stir a few times because I get twitchy.
4. Pour part of the oil mixture into a large skillet and turn the burner on low.
5. Pour in your puffed rice and drizzle the remaining olive oil across the top. If you really want bold flavor, you can scrape the seasoning that clings to your small bowl into the mixture, but I find that can make the snack too powerful tasting.
6. Heat the entire mixture on low until the puffed rice is warm and the olive oil has entirely evaporated or absorbed into the puffed rice. Stir regularly to distribute the oil and seasoning evenly (see photo below for partial results).
7. Enjoy. The entire mixture is only 370 calories, but if you share with a friend or partner, you get to split it down the middle!